Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Good Ol' Banana Bread

Oh, Banana Bread, how I love you.


I believe I've mentioned it before, but banana bread has a special place in my heart.  A place containing memories of surprise after school treats, dad humming to himself as he mixes the batter, and bananas so black speckled I was afraid to go near them.


So, when I entered the kitchen a couple days ago, and was faced with bananas so brown they might as well have been chocolate bars, I knew just what to do.

It was banana bread time!


I started with those dark brown bananas I mentioned earlier, the kind no one would dare eat, unless they've been mashed and baked into bread.  As you may know, those are the absolute sweetest.

I then added all of your basic banana bread ingredients.  Flour, salt, baking powder, you know, the usual.  I skipped the fat and sugar, however.  No need for that when the bananas are so creamy and sweet themselves.


After baking away in the oven for a bit, my banana bread came out looking better than ever.  I could not wait to take pictures and slice into that thing!

Sure enough, when it came time to take my first bite, it was more than delicious.  Slightly chewy, with the perfect texture, and just the right amount of sweetness.  It was everything a classic banana bread should be.  I definitely helped myself to a second serving.

What can I say?  I love banana bread.


Classic Banana Bread

  • 2 cups oat flour (make your own by grinding rolled oats in a blender until they form a flour, measure after blending)
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 3 large bananas, mashed (as ripe as possible)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 egg whites (or 1 egg or 1 flax "egg")
Preheat oven to 350F.  In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.  In another large bowl, whisk together bananas, vanilla, and eggs until smooth and a bit bubbly.  Add dry ingredients to wet slowly and mix until just combined.  Scoop batter unto a parchment paper lined loaf pan.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Revisited Recipe of the Day:





Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Gasp--could it be, a gluten free banana bread recipe that looks AMAZING? I've gotta try this soon. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete