Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lemony Pound Cake

My sister is a full-fledged chocolate hater.


Though I don't always understand how she could dislike such a delicious treat, I do sometimes try to cater to her wishes and bake things that aren't chocolate.

So, when she came to me a couple days ago, requesting a pound cake be made, I jumped to the task.


There was only one problem:  I didn't want a typical pound cake.  You know, the ones with a pound of every ingredient.  Instead, I was hoping to find a recipe that was slightly scaled down.  I stumbled upon this one from epicurious (I would link it, but I don't have the web address, just a printed copy).


Lemon Pound Cake

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • a pinch salt
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350.  Butter and flour a loaf pan (i used one that made mini loaves), knocking out excess flour.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.  In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, to the butter mixture, making sure to beat well after every addition.  Next, beat in the lemon zest and vanilla.  Add flour mixture, alternating with milk, and mix until just incorporated.  Spoon batter into pan and bake until the top is golden.  This should take around 1 hour, maybe more depending on the pan you use.  Let cake cool before eating, cutting, or serving.



It's good, there's no doubt about that.

The lemon zest adds a refreshing zing while the butter gives you a rich flavor while not being too heavy.

The chocolate hater gives it a thumbs up too, by the way.


I think this recipe would be great on a warm day.  In my opinion there's absolutely nothing better than sitting outside in the sun, eating cake.

Especially an amazingly good lemony pound cake.

C'mon, who's with me?
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment